Teach with Us
Special Collections has an active instruction program that provides students at all levels and in a wide range of disciplines with hands-on educational opportunities using materials from our collections. We welcome all UVM classes, as well as classes from other area colleges and schools.
- Class sessions in Special Collections.
- Special Collections librarians provide introductions to archival research and teach class sessions focused on our holdings in a particular subject area. We often co-teach sessions with class instructors, working with them to offer inquiry-based investigations.
- Class instructors may reserve our classroom to teach with Special Collections materials. We can help you locate materials to support your teaching,
- Classroom visits. Special Collections librarians visit your classroom to introduce students to our resources, research tools, and procedures and give presentations on specialized topics.
- Course guides. We create web-accessble guides to help students identify Special Collections resources and tools useful for a class or assignment.
- Assignment support. We identify and reserve material that students use on their own time in our reading room. Students can also make their own requests.
- Research consultations. Special Collections librarians meet with individual students or small groups to discuss research strategies and suggest resources.
Plan a Visit
- Please contact our instruction coordinator as far in advance as possible, but at least two weeks before you hope to schedule a class session.
- A Special Collections librarian and the class instructor work together to establish goals and learning objectives and to design a class session.
- Share the course syllabus, assignment and any other material that will help the Special Collections librarian select appropriate material.
- Students using our closed stack materials for assignments will be required to register, present identification and follow our reading room guidelines.
- We will accommodate early morning, early evening and weekend classes whenever possible.
- The class instructor should plan to be present during a Special Collections session.