Special Collections welcomes students, faculty, staff, visiting researchers and the general public. To help us preserve rare and unique materials, please treat all materials with care and follow the following guidelines.
- You may bring pencils, notebooks, paper, a laptop computer or tablet, and a cell phone or camera for self-service photography into the reading room.
- You may not bring pens, food, beverages, bags, coats, umbrellas, or skateboards into the reading room. Lockers are available at no charge for secure storage of personal items.
- Silence cell phones and take calls outside the reading room.
- All Special Collections material must be used in the reading room.
Working with Collections
- Handle all materials with care.
- Do not add or remove any marks on Special Collections material.
- You may retrieve Vermont Research Collection materials shelved in the open stacks.
- Special Collections staff will retrieve all materials shelved in the closed stacks upon request.
- When working with a manuscript or archival collection, use one box at a time, and remove one folder at a time. Maintain the order of items within a folder. Keep archival materials flat on the table.
- Use book cradles and weights provided by staff.
- After consultation with staff, you may copy, photograph or scan material for personal research at no charge using a personal camera or the department's copier and scanners. Please see our Reproduction and Permissions page for more information.
- When you finsh using material retrieved from offsite storage, please let us know.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please ask a staff member or contact us.